Control Performance Analytics - CPA
As the complexity of industrial process applications grows, so do production management requirements for process safety, adaptability, and product quality. More openness is required to recognize the possibility for process improvement and fine-tuning.
Control performance is critical in process industries for meeting production objectives. Each process application begins with a single control loop. According to studies, around 50% of all control loops are not well-tuned, whether owing to non-optimal settings, manual operation, oscillating controlled systems, or mechanical faults with control valves.
Furthermore, process engineers are generally in charge of hundreds of control loops in large-scale process facilities. Evaluating control performance across several process stages for alarms takes a significant amount of effort and knowledge. Due to continuous process changes and equipment wear and tear, detecting potential areas for improvement and modifying control loops is not a one-time activity.
Automated Control Loop Analysis for Efficient Plant Optimization
CPA is a cloud-based managed service that improves the transparency of process data and the optimization of control loops. The collection and analysis of plant-wide data provide the client with comprehensive product control. Automatic KPI (key performance indicators) computation identifies control loop states, which can recognize setpoint tracking, steady-state difficulties, and even static or sliding friction in-process valves. The tool also enables automated testing of new parameter sets to test control loops without interfering with plant operations.
CPA - What Is It?
CPA takes data from SIMATIC PCS 7 or any other process control system, for example, in CSV format, and sends it to Siemens' cloud-based IoT operating system, such as MindSphere, through a secure connection. CPA creates reports and recommendations for the customer's support teams or Siemens' process consulting specialists to analyze based on the data. Finally, optimization ideas help to enhance the process.
Benefits of Control Loop Optimization Through CPA
- Increased product quality due to lower fluctuation in process variables
- Maximized equipment lifetime due to reduced variability in actors
- Improved set points raise throughput by going closer to the limits
- Resource savings thanks to improved set point tracking behavior (e.g., energy, raw material)
- Reduced manual mode of control loops allows overlaying control optimizations such as Advanced Process Control
- Fewer alarms and fewer operator interactions reduce operators‘ workload
Siemens CPA User Advantages
- PLANT-WIDE TRANSPARENCY
- Includes hierarchical plant overview, from management view to single control details for Siemens SIMATIC PCS 7 and other DCS.
- IMPROVED PLANT ASSET PERFORMANCE
- Identification of optimization potential as a result of correlating process data automatically with possible asset problems.
- FAST SETUP
- Intuitive interface enabling customer to use the application without extensive training.
- AUTOMATIC STATE DETECTION AND KPI CALCULATIONS
- Messaging behavior, service factor, steady state accuracy, set point tracking and static friction probability for various control states.
- COST BENEFITS
- Long-term process optimization and flexible managed service approach – pay only when you use the application.
- OPEN, CLOUD-BASED IOT OPERATING SYSTEM
- CPA is part of Siemen's Asset and Process Performance Suite for industrial applications and advanced analytics.
Contact Process Technology for all your Siemens Process Control products. Call them at 801-264-1114 or visit them at https://process-tech.com.